Thursday 18 November 2010

The Jerwood Drawing prize 2010

I went to the university of Gloucester today to look at the work of finalists from the Jerwood drawing prize 2010..what an unexpected treat. If your unfamilair with this prize; in simple terms...it is a competition for whoever and whatever..art related **I mean literally anything**  the winner wins SIX THOUSAND BIG ONES; time to dust off your brushes. There were over 3,000 pieces of work submitted.

Credit where credit is due the winners piece was good, by a lady named Virginia Verran. She produced a muted colour piece of worked named 'bolus-space'. There was a lot going on in the piece and in honesty I dont even know where to begin ** sorry Virginia ** but none the less it was a talented worthy piece and pleasant on the eye.







My interest was more distracted by the work of Tom Flint, his piece being called London Bridge panoramic'...it was astounding. A black moody piece of London showing Depth, fear, real life, hostility, sarcasm and witt....it really was an amazing ** and over qualified for the position it took in the competition** Have a look on the following link to see for yourself: I hate to spoil the party but this guy most certainly was the best I saw in the final 70.



The second place was a bizarre attempt to show art, providing us with an old coffee table stained with coffee and tea cup rings and the student prize went to a nominee who produced a very small card board sculptor, painted in a salmon colour, showing a few shapes all attached with a circular roller coaster looking attachement made out of plastic **I nearly stood on it as I entered the exhibition...oops**

Check out the jerwood site to dig a little further...its interesting to see even if it makes you want to send a little something in yourself, I'm cutting my potato stencils as we speak.

No comments: